Silence; can it really help you get your point across better than uttering words?
It is true that there’s immense power in silence. That is why learning to be silent, particularly when dealing with certain types of people and/or situations, it’s more beneficial than arguing or shouting.
Can you count how many times being silent saved your purpose?
Silence is like an inspiring Thursday after a troublesome Monday… And let’s face it, most Mondays are troublesome. Why? Because it comes after a Sunday which you never want to end. Is it not?
Silence is like a Thursday because it’s kind of hard to keep your mouth shut when you have so many things to say. However, you know you have left many other opportunities to speak your mind… What you can’t do on Thursday, you could do on the following days… Friday is an end.
Many of us avoid, for example, visiting a friend in the hospital being afraid that we would not say the right words. Yet, your presence says everything your friend needs to hear “I’m here for you”.
Keeping your mouth shut and listening is a sign of wisdom, not a weakness.
Skilled negotiators learn first to shut up because most people can’t bear the silence. Silence makes most of us add concessions, favors, bonuses, or cut demands (apparently we want less from those who talk less).
All good so far, silence is excellent… But listening doesn’t come naturally to the human mind. That’s why when I work with people that want to lose weight who complain about loved ones not understanding their struggle, I suggest this exercise: Going to a party together; the overweight person eats nothing, and the loved one is not allowed to say not even a single word all evening.
You might be surprised by the results of this exercise. Forced to remain silent, many people understand better what means the struggle of abstaining from things you feel compelled the do.
Presumably, you want to be likable… All of us do. For that purpose, we talk a lot, unaware of the fact that displaying your knowledge makes you seem a bit pretentious and not admired.
Do you want to influence others? Learn to listen, learn how and when to shut up; learn for your benefit; learn for the benefit of your goal; learn for the benefit of those around you.
Silence is a great teacher because it opens your eyes and your mind to new and exciting things.
I could go on and on and on and on telling you about the wonders of silence and listening… But that could defeat the purpose. Is it not?
May this collection of quotes inspire you to rise above the noise and learn the virtue of silence.
1. Never assume that loud is strong and quiet is weak.
2. Silence is the best response to a fool.
3. Some hearts understand each other, even in silence.
4. Silence isn’t empty, it’s full of answers.
5. We will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. – Martin Luther King Jr
6. Sometimes it’s best to stay quiet. The silence can speak volumes without ever saying a word.
7. No response is a response. And it’s a powerful one.
8. Silence is true wisdom’s best reply. -Euripides
9. The smarter you get, the less you speak.
10. Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent. – Napoleon Hill
11. Open your mouth only if what you are going to say is more beautiful than the silence.
12. The most significant conversations of our lives occur in silence. – Simon Van Booy
13. Sometimes it’s better to let the silence do the talking.
14. A heart worth loving is one you understand, even in silence. – Shannon L. Alder
15. When you build in silence, they don’t know what to attack.
16. Once you’ve matured you realize silence is more powerful than proving a point.
17. Life’s deepest feelings are often expressed in silence.
18. Silence is a gift. Learn to value its essence.
19. The quieter you become, the more you can hear.
20. Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer. – Muhammad Ali
21. A wise man once said nothing.
22. Silence is of different kinds, and breathes different meanings. – Charlotte Brontë
23. Listen to silence. It has so much to say. – Rumi
24. Silence is one of the great arts of conversation. – Marcus Tullius Cicero
25. Silence is sometimes the best answer. – Dalai Lama
26. Work hard in silence, let your success make the noise. – Frank Ocean
27. Be silent and safe—silence never betrays you. – John Boyle O’Reilly
28. I discovered that I felt at home and alive in the silence, which compelled me to enter my interior world and around there. – Karen Armstrong
29. Never respond to rudeness. When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
30. I was quiet, but I was not blind.
31. Surely silence can sometimes be the most eloquent reply.
32. My silence could mean that you are not worth the argument.
33. Silence is a true friend who never betrays. – Confucius
34. A sudden silence in the middle of a conversation suddenly brings us back to essentials: it reveals how dearly we must pay for the invention of speech. – Emile M. Cioran
35. Silence is the safest course for any man to adopt who distrust himself. – Francois de La Rochefoucauld
36. Focus your attention on the quality of your words, and not the quantity, because few sensible talks attracts millions of listeners more than a thousand gibberish. – Michael Bassey Johnson
37. When you’re comfortable with someone, you don’t need to always fill the void with noise. I liked it when we would just be. – Elizabeth Eulberg
38. Sometimes you don’t have to say anything. Silence speaks it all. – Disha Patani
39. We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. – Nicholas Sparks
40. Sometimes quiet is violent.
41. Silence is the great teacher, and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it. There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence. – Deepak Chopra
42. Words can sting like anything, but silence breaks the heart. – Phyllis McGinley
43. The more you know the less you need to say. – Jim Rohn
Jim Rohn #quotes #silence #peace” width=”400″ height=”600″ />
44. It is beautiful to talk about beautiful things and even more beautiful to silently gaze at them. – Dejan Stojanovic
45. Well-timed silence is the most commanding expression. – Mark Helprin
46. I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more. – C.S. Lewis
47. There are in life a few moments so beautiful, that even words are a sort of profanity. – Diana Palmer
48. Silence can often be more disturbing than noise, it reveals the complicated mechanism of our thoughts. – José Rodrigues Miguéis
49. Wise people are not always silent, but they know when to be.
50. Silence is the most powerful scream.