Forgiveness, we all know we are supposed to do it. And that is good for us but that does not make it any easier to do. In fact, forgiveness can be messy. You think you have forgiven someone but then out of nowhere, your painful emotions reappear as if they had never even left.
You might not know what to do to move past your pain because it can often feel overwhelming to even manage to get through the emotions.
Just because forgiveness is tough, does not mean it is not worth it. To be at peace with what has happened in your life will give you more contentment than anything else. So how do you stay motivated on your forgiveness journey? Sometimes a motivating message is all that you need to keep you moving forward.
: Best Books on Forgiveness and Letting Go
Here are some quotes to help you stay focused and motivated to continue your work on forgiveness. Turn one into a screen saver, and you will always be reminded why you are working to forgive.
1. “Mistakes are always forgivable if one has the courage to admit them.” – Bruce Lee
2. “We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
3. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” – Mahatma Gandhi
4. “Forgiveness is the sweetest revenge.” ― Isaac Friedmann
5. “Forgiveness has nothing to do with absolving a criminal of his crime. It has everything to do with relieving oneself of the burden of being a victim–letting go of the pain and transforming oneself from victim to survivor.” ― C.R. Strahan
6. “Forgiveness means it finally becomes unimportant that you hit back.” ― Anne Lamott
7. “There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.” ― Bryant H. McGill
8. “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.” ― Nelson Mandela
9. “Throughout life, people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do because hate in your heart will consume you too.” ― Will Smith
10. “To err is human, to forgive, divine.” ― Alexander Pope
11. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” ― Marianne Williamson
12. “As long as you don’t forgive, who and whatever it is will occupy a rent-free space in your mind.” ― Isabelle Holland
13. “Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were.” ― Cherie Carter-Scott
14. “The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.” ― Thomas Szasz
15. “True forgiveness is when you can say, “Thank you for that experience.” ― Oprah Winfrey
16. “Forgiveness is man’s deepest need and highest achievement.” – Horace Bushnell
17. “To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.” – Robert Muller
18. “Let us forgive each other – only then will we live in peace.” – Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy
19. “Forgiveness isn’t approving what happened. It’s choosing to rise above it.” – Robin Sharma
20. “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
21. “Few suffer more than those who refuse to forgive themselves.” ― Mike Norton